The inspiration to write this article comes from having the opportunity to see a very skilled typist at work. She was able to start Microsoft Word, prepare and print a document and exited the program, all without once touching her mouse. I later asked her about her skills and she confessed that she had done a few formal word processing courses. After telling her how impressed I was, she said that her mouse was not working. 🙂
Nevertheless, learning shortcut keys is always an asset (and yes it can come in handy if you have a broken mouse).
Here are some that I find useful (in no particular order).
- =rand() If you want to get some random text in your word document.*
- Ctrl + n Create a new document of the same type as the current or most recent document.
- Ctrl + o Open a document.
- Ctrl + w Close a document.
- Ctrl + s Save a document.
- Ctrl + a select all text
- Ctrl + b Make letters bold
- Ctrl + I Make letters italic
- Ctrl + u Make letters underline
- Ctrl + shift + < Decrease font size one value
- Ctrl + shift + > Increase font size one value
- Ctrl + ] Increase the font size by 1 point
- Ctrl + [ Decrease the font size by 1 point
- Ctrl + c Copy the selected text or object
- Ctrl + x Cut the selected text or object
- Ctrl + v Paste text or an object
- Ctrl + z Undo the last action
- Ctrl + y Redo the last action
- Ctrl+shift+g Open the Word Count dialog box
Finally, if you hold down the Alt key for a few seconds, you will notice some letters appearing next to the menu buttons, if you want to access a command function you simply release the Alt key and type the corresponding letter.
*If =rand() does not work then try the following steps
- Office button > Word options >Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > check Replace text as you type > click OK
– Girendra Persaud (November 2012)
- 13 Aug 2023Why You Should Always Update Your Website?
- 03 Oct 2022Essentials for eCommerce Websites: The Possibilities in Guyana
- 13 May 2020How To Create Your Social Media Marketing Strategy
- 04 May 2020To Hashtag Or Not!
- 21 Jul 2015Shell Beach Adventure!